The ramifications of the wealth inequality problem so troubling to Western economists and policy makers is also affecting China. A new research paper by five authors, including Piketty and Saez, reveals that in 1978 the highest earning Chinese 10% took home about 25% of national income before taxes. By 2015, the take of the top 10% had risen to two-fifths of total income. The richest 10% now control about 70% of private wealth in China, up from 40% in 1995. The inequality issue was somewhat mitigated by China’s rapid economic growth. Between 1978 and 2015, the income level of the poorer half of the Chinese population quintupled. During the same time period in the United States, the income level of the bottom half of the population declined by 1%.
- Trump administration decides Trump isn’t violating his government lease. They’re wrong.
- House Republicans cancel all hearings on Russian investigation, blame Democrats
- Public support for marijuana legalization surged in 2016
- White House: Trump Will Sign Repeal Of Obama-Era Internet Privacy Rules
- Shit Just Got Real
- The controversial deal is off: a Chinese company won’t be investing in Kushner Companies
- Dems' best hope to beat McSally could be a complete nobody
- Congress rescinds rule limiting sale of Internet customer data
- Border deaths honored one story at a time through art
- Who could be Phoenix's next mayor?
- Roberts: Yarbrough kills insane bill allowing 164 percent interest rates
- "AZ Schools Now" Town Hall Will Give You a Chance to Be Heard On Public School Funding
- AZ Memo: Latest on Bearizona incident; initiative limits, Final Four homecoming; Trump business and mobsters; winds coming, and more
- "If you are a working-class person, you are basically screwed. This is going to cause massive social,..."
- Hitler: Unfrozen Pundit
- Arizona Senate joins House in approving terror law expansion
- Progressive groups banding together to fight initiative restrictions
- What Happens When Local Police Get Involved in Immigration Enforcement?
- First Republican Lawmaker Says Nunes Must Recuse Himself From Russia Probe
- GOP Rep. Says Nunes Should 'Clear Things Up' About His Coziness With WH
CategoriesActivism Arizona Congressional Delegation Arizona Congressional Races Arizona State Legislature AZBlueMeanie Bob Lord Budgets Campaigns Carolyn Classen Civil Rights Commentary Community Congress Constitution Corruption Courts CPMAZ Craig McDermott David Safier Economics Education Election Integrity Elections Ethics GOP War On... Governor Gun Policies Healthcare Immigration International Justice Labor Legislation Lobbying Media Pamela Powers Hannley Party Politics Political Calendar President Primaries Racism Religion Scandals Taxes Tucson Uncategorized