Category Archives: Community

Legal Observer Training on January 13

“Greetings, National Lawyers Guild members and supporters,

The National Lawyers Guild is proud to be providing Legal Observers for this year’s Tucson Women’s March.

Come out and get trained or retrained as a Legal Observer, and encourage others to join us as well! You do not need to be a lawyer or law student in order to be a legal observer; you just need to be observant and interested in protecting people’s constitutional rights to gather and demonstrate.

U of A – James E. Rogers School of Law
Room 168
2-4pm
Sunday, January 13, 2019

This training will help people prepare to be Legal Observers for all upcoming Legal Observer needs, so please come even if you’re not sure you’ll be available for the Women’s March. We anticipate a steady need for Legal Observers as we go forward into 2019.

RSVP’s requested but not necessary. Please email southernarizona@nlg.org with questions.

To learn more about the Legal Observer Program, please go to https://www.nlg.org/lo-trainings/.”

Support volunteer citizen journalism at the Blog for Arizona with a donation today. Your PayPal contribution keeps the Blog online and sustains a free press in Arizona.

Ballot Initiative Proposes to Make Tucson a Sanctuary City

Joel Feinman

Zaira Livier

Public Defender Joel Feinman and community organizer Zaira Livier propose to put a ballot initiative before Tucson voters in November that will make Tucson a sanctuary city, like San Francisco, Chicago, and New York.

“We envision a Tucson that serves as a safe refuge for all people regardless of their immigration status, race, color, age, gender identity, ethnicity, ability to speak English, religion, sexual orientation, or economic status,” according to the People’s Defense Initiative, which Feinman and Livier co-founded last April.

Titled the Tucson Families Free & Together initiative will prohibit city police officers from detaining people on the basis of immigration status, and from assisting in the enforcement of federal immigration laws, and minimize record-keeping of communications between Tucson and federal authorities.
Continue reading

Women candidates for Mayor of Tucson (1991 to 2019)

Now that Ward 1 Councilmember Regina Romero (D) announced her bid for Mayor of Tucson, I wondered how many other women have run for this top position. Here’s the stats from the past (not including write-ins):

November 2011 General  – Mary DeCamp (G) who lost to Jonathan Rothschild (D, political newcomer). She got 4.94% of the vote.

November 2003 General  – Kimberly Swanson (L) lost to Mayor Robert Walkup (R). She got 2.67% of the vote.

November 1999  General –  Molly McKasson (Ward 6 Councilmember, D) lost to Robert Walkup (R), political newcomer. She got 39.45% of the vote.

Primary 1999 –   Betsy Bolding (D, got 34.09%),  Ward 2 Councilmember Janet Marcus (D, got 11.96%) , Ward 6 Councilmember Molly McKasson (D, got 44.84%) all ran for Mayor in Dem primary

November 1995 General –  Sharon Collins (R) lost to Mayor George Miller (D). She got 33.92% of the vote.

November 1991  General –  Gay Lynn Goetzke (L) lost to George Miller (D, Ward 3 Councilmember). She got 10.06% of the vote.

Primary 1991  –  Emily Machala (D) also ran in the Dem primary and got 4.34% of the vote, lost to George Miller.

City of Tucson election summary only goes back to 1991: https:/ww/w.tucsonaz.gov/files/clerks/Election_Summary_Report_1991_-_2017_0.pdf

Should Ward 1 Councilmember Regina Romero win the Democratic primary against former LD 9 State Senator Steve Farley, and then the General Election, she will be the first woman Latina Mayor of the City of Tucson.  There may still be other candidates announcing for Mayor, as it is still early in this race.

In the past Ward 2 Councilmember Janet Marcus and Ward 6 Councilmember Molly McKasson ran for Mayor, and both lost.

Support volunteer citizen journalism at the Blog for Arizona with a donation today. Your PayPal contribution keeps the Blog online and sustains a free press in Arizona.

Senator Steve Farley is Running for Mayor of Tucson to Protect the City

Steve Farley came to Tucson 25 years ago and has represented the city in the state legislature for 12 years.

Steve Farley came to Tucson 25 years ago and has represented the city in the state legislature for 12 years.

Veteran state legislator Steve Farley announced today that he is running for Mayor of Tucson, so that he can protect the city from attacks by the Trump administration and the state Legislature. He pledged to create a construction job training program for young people, to fight climate change and to protect migrant and asylum-seekers.

He was surprised by the retirement of Mayor Jonathan Rothschild after 8 years in office. “I realized that the experience I could bring to serve the city I would be amazing,” he said in an interview with the Blog for Arizona. “I chose Tucson for my home 25 years ago and it is a dream to be able to serve the city I love.”
Continue reading

Ward 1 Councilmember Regina Romero announces for Mayor of Tucson

“I am very excited to share that I have decided to run for Mayor of the City of Tucson! (from 1/9/19 FB page)

I have been serving Tucson residents in my capacity as Ward 1 Council Member for the last 11 years. I am strongly committed to continue moving our great city towards prosperity and to lead as Mayor of Tucson. See press release below for details and visit my Facebook campaign page to learn more: Regina Romero.

Please share with your networks and comment your thoughts below! Let’s make history together in 2019! #VoteReginaRomero #TucsonMayor2019″ 

Ward 1 Councilmember Regina Romero

Continue reading