Hosted by Free the Children Coalition
“Local Activists, organizations, and community leaders have come together to form the “Free the Children Coalition” to address and denounce the separation of families at the border and the subsequent detention of children under conditions which violate human rights principles.
Join us for this press conference and stand in solidarity with detained children in Tucson and across the country.
● An END to the criminalization of migrants and asylum seekers
● An END to family separation
● An END to conditions which violate human rights standards
● And END to the commodification of criminalized peoples as a means of profit for any market
● The adoption of JUST and HUMANE policies which are focused on family reunification and which improve the living and housing conditions for children without family
● Prosecution of those responsible for human rights violations
● State, County, and City policies which demand high standards of living and housing conditions and require full transparency from private shelters/detention
Free the Children Coalition: People’s Defense Initiative, Represent Me AZ, Derechos Humanos, Justice Alliance, ACLU, Southside Worker’s Center, The Poor People’s Campaign, Chukson Water Protectors, PALF, Wesley Foundation of Tucson, and YWCA, among others.
WHAT: Press Conference to condemn the inhumane practice of separating families at the border and the subsequent housing of children under conditions which violate the rights of the child and interfere with their social, physical, and mental development. Announcement of upcoming rally.”