An upcoming book by Governor candidate David R. Garcia entitled School Choice is a blueprint on how to dismantle public education in Arizona, complete with practical tips on how to implement school vouchers and ESAs (“empowerment scholarship accounts”).
The Blog for Arizona exclusively obtained a review copy of the 196-page book, which will be published one month after the primary elections on September 28, 2018, by The MIT Press.
The book is not an academic work. Garcia says it is for a “general audience” on page 97. It is a how-to playbook for the anti-public-school, pro-school-voucher agenda pushed by Gov. Doug Ducey and the Koch brothers, complete with strategies, arguments, legal precedents to cite, successful examples and historic points of reference.
Garcia is facing Democrats Steven Farley and Kelly Fryer in the primary. Gov. Doug Ducey is running for re-election.
As the 2018 midterms approach, Arizona is one of the biggest political battlegrounds nationwide and public education is a major issue. The Southwestern state features one of the top 9 most important state legislature races in the US in the midterm elections. Arizona is expected to decide the control of the U.S. Senate in this year’s congressional midterm elections.
Book has a strong bias against public schools
Posted in Arizona State Legislature, Campaigns, Charter Schools, Corruption, Elections, Larry Bodine, Legislation, Primaries
Tagged David Garcia, David Gibbs, Doug Ducey, Koch Brothers, University of Arizona
TONIGHT: April 3 @ 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
On Tuesday, April 3rd, there will be a panel discussion open to the public in Room 211 of the Education Building on the UA campus.
“The discussion will cover
- Campus organizing and its successes against some of the academic centers that the Koch donor network has insinuated into hundreds of colleges and universities around the U.S.;
- The intrusion by the UA Freedom Center of biased economics courses into high schools in Arizona, notably in Tucson;
- The recent expansion of the Freedom Center’s beachhead at UA into a freestanding academic department, called the “Department of Political Economy and Moral Science;”
- The Koch donor network’s longstanding project to subvert democracy in this country.
As Prof. Nancy MacLean explained in her appearances at the Tucson Festival of Books on 3/11/18 and in a subsequent lecture sponsored by the UA History Department on 3/12, our country is in grave danger. The UA Freedom Center and its activities are one small part of the far-right libertarian effort to win by stealth what they have been unable to win at the ballot box. Come to the discussion on 4/3 and learn more about the local Freedom Center, the Koch donor network, and the threat that they constitute to all but the super-rich in our land.”
Prof. David Gibbs will be the moderator, and the four panelists will be as follows:
- David Gibbs, Professor of History, moderator
- Samantha Parsons, UnKoch My Campus, Grassroots Campaign Strategist
- David Safier, a regular contributor to Tucson Weekly
- Douglas Weiner, Professor of History
- Jeremy Vetter, Associate Professor of History
For further info call 520-323-0555.