Rocker Joan Jett wants YOU to vote— and bring friends with you.
Women are not just a voting block; we make up 53% of the voters in this country. Despite the power of our numbers, somehow 100% of the Republicans in the Senate don’t believe that we deserve equal pay for equal work, and several Republican-led Legislatures– including Arizona’s– think it’s perfectly OK to restrict your rights and force YOU to have an unnecessary vaginal ultrasound– and pay for it yourself– before you can have a legal medical procedure. (Don’t even bother to ask them if we deserve equal rights that would be granted by passage of the Equal Rights Amendment.)
In Arizona, the vote is crystal clear for women. ALL Democratic Party candidates– Congressional, statewide, and legislative— stand for equal pay, equal rights, and reproductive choice for women. Republicans stand for repression of women through continued bad legislation in Phoenix. For example, Republican gubernatorial candidate Doug Ducey — and all of the Republicans in the Arizona Legislature– signed the Center for Arizona Policy’s fetal personhood pledge to fight for the rights of the unborn, over the rights of mothers. (Now you know whose side they’re on, and it’s NOT ours.)
Women– Republicans think you’re too stupid to vote. Prove them WRONG on Nov. 4. Joan Jett video and background facts after the jump.
From the Department of Peace…
In 2013, there were more laws passed to limit women’s reproductive rights than in the entire previous DECADE.
Many of us may have access to good health care, but our experience being a woman – and our rights – shouldn’t depend on our zip code. Our sisters in Texas, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Ohio, Arkansas, and so many other states don’t have what we have. The most regressive, anti-woman, anti-voting, anti-equality laws are being passed on the state level. This is why the MIDTERMS are so important.
The midterm elections on Tuesday, November 4th, are just as important as the Presidential elections. Need a reason to go vote? Check out these terrifying facts:
• 29 States in America allow a rapist to sue a women for custody and/or visitation of the child birthed from that rape.
• 87% of all US Counties have no abortion provider.
• 35% of American women will have an abortion by the age o f45.
• In 35% of states, Medicaid recipients do not have abortion coverage.
• In 13 states a pharmacist can legally refuse to disperse birth control, even if you have a prescription.
• 26 states have waiting periods for abortion; only 11 have waiting periods for guns.
• In 17 States the government forces women to go to counseling before she can have an abortion.
• In 32 States, terminally ill women are forced to carry a pregnancy to term, regardless of her wishes or her living will.
• More than 50 abortion clinics were shut down by unnecessary laws from 2010-2013. Not including the dozens that were shut in Texas in the last month.
(For a state by state list of anti-women/anti-equality laws go to the nifty state-by-state map at ladypartsjustice.com)
Power To The Peaceful and The Proactive!
Sarah Sophie, Maximilla Lukacs, Tennessee Thomas, Rebecca Fernandez, and Jorjee Douglass