During the presentation of the final leading members of his Domestic and Economic Policy Team, President-Elect Biden and Vice President-Elect Harris made several comments regarding the start of his Administration on January 20, 2021.
Highlights of Biden’s comments include:
- Citing the historic diversity of the incoming White House staff and cabinet including the first woman as Secretary of Treasury and African American as Secretary of Defense.
- Calling on the Senate to quickly confirm his nominees.
- Mentioning that if not for the close margins in the United States Senate, Bernie Sanders may have been the Secretary of Labor Nominee.
- Stating his first priorities after being sworn in is COVID 19 vaccine distribution and a massive stimulus pandemic relief package that includes larger direct payments to qualifying individuals and families.
- Introducing legislation to raise the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour.
- Concentrating on his job as President while Congress decides whether or not to impeach Donald Trump a record second time.
- Expressing gladness that Donald Trump would not be attending his inauguration because “he has been an embarrassment to the country.” However, Mike Pence would be welcome.
- Condemning Trumpist enablers in the House and Senate that enabled the insurrectionist attacks on January 6, 2021.
- Praising Mitt Romeny for his integrity.
- Introducing legislation on immigration reform.
With the two Democratic Senate victories in Georgia, expect a large pandemic relief measure with as many pragmatic progressive goodies as feasibly and legally possible that could be passed through the reconciliation process.