Continuing to create an historic White House team that looks like America, President-Elect Joe Biden and Vice President-Elect Harris formally announced some of the names of Nominees to their Economic Team.
These names had mostly been reported yesterday.
- Heather Boushey: Member of the Council of Economic Advisors.
- Cecilia Rouse: Chair of the Council of Economic Advisors.
- Neera Tanden: Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
- Janet Yellin: Secretary of Treasury.
- Adewale “Wally” Adeyemo: Deputy Treasury Secretary.
- Jared Bernstein: Member of the Council of Economic Advisors.
- Dr. Yellin would be the first woman Secretary of Treasury.
- Ms. Tanden would be the first woman of South Asian descent to serve as the Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
- Dr. Rouse would be the first African American to lead the Council of Economic Advisors.
- Mr. Adeyemo would be the first African American to become the Deputy Treasury Secretary.
Commenting on the Nominees, President-Elect Biden stated:
“As we get to work to control the virus, this is the team that will deliver immediate economic relief for the American people during this economic crisis and help us build our economy back better than ever. This team is comprised of respected and tested groundbreaking public servants who will help the communities hardest hit by COVID-19 and address the structural inequities in our economy. They will work tirelessly to ensure every American enjoys a fair return for their work and an equal chance to get ahead, and that our businesses can thrive and outcompete the rest of the world. This team looks like America and brings the seriousness of purpose, the highest degree of competency, and unwavering belief in the promise of America. They will be ready on day one to get to work for all Americans.”
Vice President-Elect Harris relayed:
“President-elect Biden and I have said that our top priorities upon entering the White House are getting this virus under control and opening our economy responsibly. The outstanding economic team that President-elect Biden is bringing together will help us deliver on our commitment. They are not only some of America’s most brilliant economic minds, they are also proven leaders who reflect the very best of our country. And they share a fundamental commitment to ending this economic crisis and putting people back to work, while rebuilding our economy in a way that lifts up all Americans. With the selection of these crisis-tested public servants, the American people are getting the economic team they need — and deserve.”
Please click here to see the biographies of the nominees.
The Biden/Harris team still has several positions to announce. These include nominees for:
- Attorney General.
- Secretary of Defense.
- Secretary of Health and Human Services.
- Secretary of Education.
- Secretary of Energy.
- Environmental Protection Agency.
- Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
- Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
- Secretary of Labor.
- Secretary of Commerce.
- C.I.A. Director.
- F.B.I. Director (If Wray is not retained.)
- Head of the National Economic Security Council.
- Domestic Policy Advisor.
- Head of N.A.S.A.
- Department and Staff Deputies.
Hopefully, those nominees will be as qualified, diverse, historic, and ready to serve on January 20, 2021, as the first announced Biden/Harris cabinet and staff selections.
Please click below to watch the official announcement by President-Elect Biden and Vice President-Elect Harris of these nominees.