by David Safier
Health care is one of the big national issues needing serious attention — one of the I-can't-count-that-high big national issues needing serious attention. Giffords, being one of the in-the-middle Dems, is going to have a significant impact on how the legislation plays out.
You can be part of the discussion by attending her Health Care Town Hall Tuesday, May 26, 6-8pm, Sahuaro High School Auditorium, 545 N. Camino Seco, Tucson, AZ (Westside of Camino Seco, between E. Speedway and E. Broadway). She requests an RSVP at 881-3588 by May 21, but I know she wants a big turnout, and the auditorium can hold plenty of people, so if you can't RSVP, show up anyway.
If you want to do your homework beforehand, here is her Health Care Page. The bullet points of her approach are to:
- focus on high-quality and cost-efficient services, examining how the Veterans Health Administration and Medicare systems control administrative costs;
- allow states the freedom to develop innovative models for universal coverage;
- allow people over 50 to buy into Medicare before they retire;
- study state models for examples of cost-savings measures that have worked, such as reducing paperwork and allowing governments to purchase medications in bulk; and
- allow the importation of high-quality affordable prescription drugs from other countries.