By Craig McDermott, crossposted from Random Musings
While watching a little TV this weekend, the local version of the MSM (as embodied by Phoenix channel 3’s Politics Unplugged) opined that there aren’t many “bad” bills moving at the lege this year.
I beg to differ.
Among the bad bills moving just this week (“moving” = “up for committee consideration“)
– A striker to HB2480, limiting the amount of funding available to schools (Ways and Means, Monday)
– HB2043, creating a tax deduction relating to using “specie” for payment of debts (specie = gold and silver coins) (Ways and Means, Monday)
– HB2401, cutting desegregation funding for Arizona school districts that need it (Ways and Means, Monday)
– A striker to HB2024, removing the ability of courts to award court costs and attorneys’ fees when cities, towns, other subdivisions, and individuals are sued by someone for an alleged failure to enforce immigration laws and the cities, etc., prevail (Federalism and States’ Rights, Wedneday)
– HB2571, removing the exemption for complying with federal law from the Arizona law that requires that landowners be compensated if a land use law diminishes the value of a parcel of land (Federalism and States’ Rights, Wednesday)
– SB1452, declaring that any presidential actions or orders that are perceived to restrict Second Amendment rights are illegal (Federalism, Mandates, and Fiscal Responsibility, Monday)
– SB1519, mandating that anyone who collects an early ballot must provide a receipt (Government, Wednesday)
– SCR1017, a proposed amendment to the state’s constitution to both expand the membership of the Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission, and to effectively gut its authority (Government, Wednesday)
And this list is nowhere near comprehensive…
The rest –
All committees meetings and agendas are subject to change without notice, and frequently do. If you plan to travel to the Capitol to observe or weigh in on the consideration of a particular measure, check with the lege ahead of time to confirm that the meeting that you are interested in is still on schedule and your item(s) of interest is still on the agenda for that meeting.
Meeting rooms designated “HHR” are in the House of Representatives building.
Meeting rooms designated “SHR” are in the Senate building.
All House committee agendas can be found here.
All Senate committee agendas can be found here.
Committee schedule (mostly just copied and pasted from the lege’s website. The agenda links work, as of this writing, but may not later in the week if an agenda is modified in some way):
|02/18/16||Education||9:00 A.M.||SHR 1||Click Here|
|02/18/16||Judiciary||9:00 A.M.||SHR 109||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Finance||9:00 A.M.||SHR 3||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Financial Institutions||2:00 P.M.||SHR 109||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Government||2:00 P.M.||SHR 3||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Health and Human Services||2:00 P.M.||SHR 1||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Public Safety, Military and Technology||9:00 A.M.||SHR 1||Click Here|
|02/16/16||Appropriations||2:00 P.M.||SHR 109||Click Here|
|02/16/16||Federalism, Mandates and Fiscal Responsibility||9:00 A.M.||SHR 3||Click Here|
|02/16/16||Transportation||2:00 P.M.||SHR 1||Click Here|
|02/15/16||Commerce and Workforce Development||2:00 P.M. 1:45 P.M. OR UPON ADJOURNMENT OF FLOOR*||SHR 1||Click Here|
|02/15/16||Natural Resources||10:00 A.M.||SHR 109||Click Here|
|02/15/16||Rules||1:00 P.M.||Caucus Room 1||Click Here|
|02/15/16||State Debt and Budget Reform||10:00 A.M.||SHR 3||Click Here|
|02/15/16||Water and Energy||2:00 P.M.||SHR 3||Click Here|
|02/18/16||Agriculture, Water and Lands||10:00 A.M.||HHR 3||Click Here|
|02/18/16||Government and Higher Education||9:00 A.M.||HHR 1||Click Here|
|02/18/16||Military Affairs and Public Safety||9:00 A.M.||HHR 5||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Appropriations||2:00 P.M.||HHR 1||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Commerce||9:30 A.M. NOTE TIME CHANGE||HHR 1||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Education||2:00 P.M.||HHR 4||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Federalism and States’ Rights||09:00 A.M.||HHR 5||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Insurance||10:00 A.M.||HHR 4||Click Here|
|02/17/16||Judiciary||9:30 A.M. NOTE TIME CHANGE||HHR 3||Click Here|
|02/16/16||Banking and Financial Services||2:00 P.M.||HHR 3||Click Here|
|02/16/16||Health||2:00 P.M.||HHR 4||Click Here|
|02/16/16||Rural and Economic Development||2:00 P.M.||HHR 5||Click Here|
|02/16/16||Transportation and Infrastructure||2:00 P.M.||HHR 1||Click Here|
|02/15/16||Children and Family Affairs||2:00 P.M.||HHR 5||Click Here|
|02/15/16||County and Municipal Affairs||2:00 P.M.||HHR 4||Click Here|
|02/15/16||Elections||10:00 A.M.||HHR 4||Click Here|
|02/15/16||Energy, Environment and Natural Resources||2:00 P.M.||HHR 1||Click Here|
|02/15/16||Rules||1:00 P.M.||HHR 4||Click Here|
|02/15/16||Ways and Means||2:00 P.M.||HHR 3||Click Here|
There will be floor calendars later in the week, but those are generally posted the day before, or even the day of, consideration.
The lege’s Capitol Events calendar is here. The “highlight”: a 2nd Amendment rally, scheduled for Saturday.