Legislative District (LD) 26 State Representative Athena Salman, along with several other House Democrat co-sponsors have introduced House Resolution (HR) 2006. This measure, if passed by the Arizona House of Representatives, would expel LD 11 State Representative Mark Finchem from that legislative body.
Please click below for an annotated version of the resolution with informational source links.
Holding a mid-morning press conference with other supporters of Finchem’s expulsion (please click here to view the event video,) Representative Salman, the leading Democrat on the House Government and Elections committee cited the following reasons that justify Finchem’s removal. They are his:
- Involvement in organizing the events at the Nation’s Capitol on January 6, 2021.
- Stoking the big lie about the 2020 Presidential Election that helped caused the Domestic Terrorist Attack.
- Membership in fringe extreme White Nationalist groups (some of whom participated in the January 6, 2021, Domestic Terrorist Attack at the Nation’s Capitol.)
- Attempts to shift the blame of the attack to left-wing organizations.
- Failing to cooperate with the investigation of his involvement in the events of January 6, 2021, by refusing to turn over any emails or phone records.
- Receiving $6,000 from the Trump Campaign to help spread the big lie about the election.
- Betraying his oath of office, the Arizona State and United States Constitutions.
Telling the gathering that Finchem is “unfit to serve,” Representative Salman said that:
“Every day the member remains in office is a blight to the integrity of the Arizona House of Representatives, a threat to national security, and a very threat to our Democracy.”
Salman is right.
Mark Finchem and every other public servant that is proven to have had a hand in organizing and inciting the mood for the horrific events on January 6, 2021, where seven people (including three members of law enforcement) have died and 50 other police injured has to be held to account if thorough investigations prove their culpability.
If not, this is no longer a nation built on laws and Democratic-Republican values. It further demonstrates (like with the national examples of Trump and Taylor Greene) that one of the nation’s political party’s is nothing more than a hotbed of fringe cult tribalism with no accountability for its own members unless of course, those people go after the cult leader (see the Republican State or County Party censures of Liz Cheney, Cindy McCain, Ben Sasse, Tom Price, and Jeff Flake.)
The members of the Arizona State House of Representatives have to take a stand for honesty, election integrity, law and order, Democracy, the Republic, and the American Ideal.
Expel Mark Finchem if it is determined that his efforts helped lead to the Domestic Terrorist events at the Nations Capitol on January 6, 2021.